Friday, February 13, 2015

Guest Review from My Mom

My mom wrote a review of her favorite books. She's right about these books, they are the best. But since she's my mom, she can't win the gift card. Besides, if she did, I would just make her spend it on me anyway! Thanks for the review, Moo.
My mommy and me, being witches. Because that's what we do.
HARRY POTTER

I know that the Ella's Little Library book of the month is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, and I'm so excited that Ella is encouraging her friends to read this series. I think that these books are important. Not just because I'm still waiting for my Hogwarts acceptance letter (but seriously, I am.), but because I think these books offer great lessons to everyone who reads them.

In the Potter series, JK Rowling teaches children the value of dedication, loyalty and cleverness. She teaches that things aren't always as they seem, and she teaches the importance of tolerance. That everyone matters, despite their differences. These lessons are priceless, and will benefit kids (and their nerdy parents) throughout their lives. And the greatest part? The story is so good, they don't even know they're learning.

Aside from the lessons, there is the beauty of Harry Potter's universe. In my opinion, imagination is the most important part of a happy childhood. In reading these books to my little witch and wizard, I saw their imaginations come to life. They entered a world of magic and mystery, and so did I. When talking about these books, they mentioned the Forbidden Forest and Diagon Alley like they are places that could be pointed to on the map. Ron, Harry and Hermione became their friends. Their imaginations developed more and more with every page turn.

Loving these books made both of my kids eager to read more. Percy Jackson, Michael Vey, The Hunger Games, The Lord of the Rings, etc...have all been favorites because Harry Potter taught my children to love reading. For that, I'll be forever grateful for JK Rowling, and the train ride that gave birth to the Hogwarts Express. She has given our family many fun nights of reading (really. many. like tons.), some very magical birthday parties, and countless priceless memories.

If you're a parent, nerdy or otherwise, I highly recommend introducing the Harry Potter Series to your little ones. Unless you want them to grow up to be muggles. And that's ok...I guess. But, if you don't read them Potter, please, read them something.

No comments:

Post a Comment